Thursday evening I hosted one of our weekly dinner clubs. I look forward to this Thursday evening routine where we all take a turn preparing a meal with lots of TLC and a high yumminess factor.
How'd this get started? A few years ago, the newbie group started getting together several nights a week, each taking a turn to cook. Over time it evolved into once a week. When my newbie group arrived, we were invited into the mix. The group originally only included singles and now includes couples as well. Our group is so large now in fact that we've broken into two smaller groups so it's possible to have a conversation with someone rather than just feeling like a meet-and-greet where you shove the food in, say a few hellos and head home with a full belly.
Due to several people having other plans, we merged the groups and I had 9 people + me for dinner. I decided to make a couple of breakfast casseroles thinking who doesn't love breakfast for dinner.
Here's my kitchen pretty close to ready for guests. There was water boiling on the stove for coffee. I use a french press here. Yum! You can also see the size of my oven so the earlier post from Thursday related to locksmithing may be more understandable.
I made two casseroles: an egg, bacon and cheese and french toast. The french toast was LOVED by all. I need to send a shout out to the Torrence family. They are one of my American families who thoughtfully brought me a HUGE bottle of maple syrup from the embassy commissary. Maple syrup is not found in Brasilia so this is a delicious treat to share. The other casserole I made was good, a little well-done and also the cheese was okay. Cheese in Brazil is a bit difficult to come by. I mean, there is lots of cheese but not the variety I'm accustomed to having. So options like cheddar, Swiss, etc don't exist. So the casserole was fine but some cheddar would have made it even better.
I really look forward to dinner club because words can't describe what having a home cooked meal tastes like when you are so far away from home. I swear the food is always better because of the extra love that's added. Looking forward to next week!
No comments:
Post a Comment